If you’ve been following SEO for some time you know the importance of Page Rank. Actually, a lot of SEOs swear by this metric when determining how much authority a site has. But there’s another metric that’s probably more imporant it’s what we call Domain Authority (DA). In this post I want to briefly go over 10 of the main factors that determine domain authority and what you can do to improve your own.
Check Out 10 Things That Help With Your Domain Authority
1) The age of your website – One of the most important factors in determining domain authority is the age of your website. Growing old on the web automatically gives you authority. The older your site is the better. Newer sites are always under suspicion because Google doesn’t know what to expect of you. Are you going to promote porn,pills, or gambling? You get the point.
2) How long the domain name has been registered – This is another important factor related to your domain authority. If your domain name was registered 3+ years ago that would automatically indicate trust and authority to some degree.
3) The number of inbound links your site has – Of course this goes without saying. The more backlinks you have pointed to your site the better. Backlinks are what we call “votes” and determine how popular the pages on your site are.
4) How many indexed pages on your site – The more pages on your site you have indexed the better. If you have your site set up with Google Webmaster Tools,you can actually see what percent of pages on your site are indexed. The higher that percentage is the better! This is an important metric because it determines to some degree how well your content is. Duplicate content issues are one of the main factors that contribute to pages on your site not getting indexed.
5) Outbound versus Inbound links – It’s important to link out to authority sites in your niche. With that being said,you should ALWAYS have more outbound links than inbound links. If all you do is reference other people (link out) all the time it could mean your content can’t stand on it’s own. The only way to gain domain authority is by constantly getting inbound links to your site. Link out to other sites only when it’s deemed necessary.
6) Deep linking within your site – Don’t just link from your home page! An authority site with tons of great content will always have lots of deep linking. Deep linking will also keep people on your site longer and will lower what we call your bounce rate. Low bounce rate = more authority for your site.
7) How oftern your site is updated – Content freshness is important for obvious reasons. An expert/authority can whip out a blog post with no problem. If your an authority you should able to update your site a few times a week. Search engines feast on fresh content and will reward you if your site is constantly updated with helpful content.
8) Bounce rate – The bounce rate is the amount of time a visitor stays on your webpage. The higher the rate the less authority. Plain and simple, if a visitor isn’t on your site that long it usually means your content isn’t up to snuff. Bad content = no authority or very little!
9) Content mix – You need to take a multi-media approach to your content creation. Mix up your content,use images,videos, and infographics whenever possible. Don’t just use the written word to get your point across. Not everybody likes to read,some people prefer videos over text and some people like images (infographics for example).
10) Keeping to a niche – The tigher your niche the better for ranking factors. If you try to write about anything and everything it’ll be harder to rank pages on your site . Did you know it takes 10,000 hours to master any field? If you keep bouncing around from one niche to the next you’ll never master anything! If you want to become an authority in your niche you need to stick with one niche until you’ve mastered it. Experts who blog gain domain authority rather quickly!
Well there you go, a few factors that determine the Domain Authority of your site. If you’d like to add to this post don’t hesitate to leave your comments below.
Latest posts by Tyronne (see all)
- How To Get High Quality Backlinks To Your Website For 2015 - March 26, 2015
- Tempo Wireless Review - March 15, 2015
- Paycation Travel Review - February 26, 2015